Monday, October 18, 2010

Happy Birthday Nintendo



I can't think of a better way to start a new video gaming blog than to pass on birthday celebrations to the game cosole that got me into gaming!! 25 Years ago today Nintendo launched the Ninetendo Entertainment System (NES) and alongsie it probably the most famous video game character of all time... Mario.

I can still remember the day I got my NES, the futuristic grey box, with it’s frontloading cartridges. Until then I’d only really played Space invaders on my tape loading Amstrad computer with its green screen, so to suddenly have a chubby little Italian plumber jumping around the screen was an absolute marvel.

I went back and played Super Mario Bros recently and yes it does now show it’s age, but the intelligent level design and addictive game play is still there. I t reminds me of an earlier day of gaming with less bloodshed and a much more charming and pleasant outlook. Whilst gaming will never go back to the innocent days of the Nintendo Entertainment System we can only hope that as today’s current game designers think back on their own gaming heritage and the games that got them hooked that they get a spark of that early ingenuity of game design that was born out of the technical limitations of the machines of the day.

Anyway, enough of this longing for the innocent gaming of yesteryear and back to Left for Dead 2 Sacrifice, I will complete it on Expert… I will… I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment