Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Left 4 Dead 2 Sacrifice - A bit of a let down?

Whilst I like to think of myself as a serious gamer, the reality of life means that I’m probably not. I’m married, with kids, a full time job and addicted to bad reality TV, so the time I get to spend playing video games is limited. I don’t have endless hours to spend finding every last power up and completing all then achievement and collecting all the trophies, I mainly just complete a game and sell it on. So on the rare occasion that a game comes along that motivates me to go hunting for trophies I get really excited, especially when the game has an engrossing offline co-op mode and my wife joins in.

There is something endlessly satisfying about blowing the heads off zombies with the person you love, at least until I take too long to rescue her from a Jockey and receive a kick to the leg as a reward! So when The Sacrifice was released I was elated, two new campaigns for us to wade through together it was going to be so much fun. But, here I am feeling completely underwhelmed. We’ve played twice in the last 5 days – we recently hired the original Left 4 Dead and completed it all with most achievements in four days together – and I don’t have that burning desire to go back for more.

I’m not sure I can work out what is different this time around, we downloaded the Passing and loved it, so where has the magic gone? The Sacrifice has the same great game play and the same clever level design, but the fun seems to have gone out of it! Maybe that is the answer, it’s the same. Whilst the level design is different, the game play is exactly the same; the zombies are the same and so are the Special infected. I think after a few years of completing the base game and then moving on I’ve just had too much of Left for Dead and that is a real shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment